Beercocks logo
Contact Us
01482 330330
call-to-action call-to-action-mobile

Almost Half UK Don’t Insure When Moving Homes

Search for properties

Property type

Minimum price

Maximum price

Minimum bedrooms


Thu 31 Aug 2017

Almost Half UK Don’t Insure When Moving Homes

Once you’ve found your dream new home with Beercocks, the number one Kingswood estate agents, then you’ll have the keys and be moving houses before you know it.

There’s certainly a sense of relief when you finally exchange on your new home, yet moving can still be quite stressful. However, if you aren't aware of this one mistake you could be making, moving could be an absolute disaster. 

The Mirror reported new research from, which found that 42 per cent of people who moved house weren’t aware that they may have invalidated their household contents cover. Many insurers only cover items while they’re in the house, so if heaven forbid you hired an unscrupulous driver or something gets damaged, they may not have to pay out.

If you let your insurer know, some may cover as standard. However, there are often exceptions. They may, for example, only cover you when using a registered company a a mover - rather than you doing the moving in a rental van. Or your own car for that matter. 

Dave Sayce, from, suggested some cover options, including goods in transit insurance: “Goods in Transit Insurance protects your items during transit from any damages, losses or theft during your move, and in most scenarios, can cover your belongings up to £50,000.”

A reputable moving company is likely to come with Goods in Transit cover as standard.

With the average value of objects moving homes up to £14,000, this could be quite an expensive mistake to make.